Proper Waste Sorting and Disposal for Businesses
6th April 2023
As a responsible enterprise, it is crucial to manage your waste in a sustainable and environmentally friendly way. Proper sorting and disposal of waste is a crucial aspect of waste management that businesses must adhere to. At Affordable Waste Management, we understand the importance of sustainable waste management and are here to provide guidance on the proper sorting and disposal of waste for enterprises.
Guidelines for Proper Sorting and Disposal of Waste
Waste Segregation: The first step to proper waste management is to segregate waste at the source. This involves separating recyclable and non-recyclable waste, hazardous and non-hazardous waste, and organic and inorganic waste. By segregating waste at the source, businesses can reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill sites and improve their recycling rates.
- Recyclable waste: paper waste, cardboard waste, plastic, glass waste, and metal.
- Non-recyclable waste: food waste, sanitary waste, and some types of plastic. Hazardous waste: chemicals, batteries, and electronic waste.
- Non-hazardous waste: furniture, carpets, and wood.
Businesses must follow relevant legislation when it comes to waste segregation. The UK government has published guidelines on the proper segregation of waste:
- The Environmental Protection Act 1990:
- The Hazardous Waste Regulations 2005:
- The Waste (England and Wales) Regulations 2011:
- The Waste Management Licensing Regulations 1994:
- The Controlled Waste Regulations 2012:
Choose a Waste Management Contractor: Enterprises must choose a reliable and licensed waste management contractor to dispose of their waste. This ensures that the waste is treated and disposed of in an environmentally responsible manner, and in compliance with relevant legislation. It is essential to check the contractor’s waste carrier licence and verify their credibility before hiring them.
Waste Record Keeping: Businesses must maintain accurate waste records that document the types and quantities of waste generated and the destination of the waste. This helps to demonstrate compliance with the law and identify areas where waste reduction and recycling can be improved.
Use Appropriate Containers: Enterprises must use suitable containers to store and transport their waste. These containers must be clearly labelled, leak-proof, and secure. The size and type of container must be suitable for the waste generated and the frequency of collection.
- Size: Containers should be appropriate in size for the amount of waste generated and the frequency of collection.
- Type: Different types of waste require different types of containers. For example, hazardous waste may require a container that is specially designed to store and transport hazardous materials safely.
- Material: Containers should be made from a durable material that can withstand the weight and volume of the waste, and that is resistant to leakage or breakage.
- Labelling: Containers must be labelled clearly to indicate the contents, and to ensure that they are handled and disposed of correctly.
- Leak-proof: Containers must be leak-proof to prevent spillage during storage and transportation.
- Secure: Containers must be secure to prevent unauthorised access, and to ensure that the waste is not tampered with or stolen.
- Compliance with regulations: Containers must comply with relevant legislation and regulations, such as the Hazardous Waste Regulations 2005 and the Waste Management Licensing Regulations 1994.
Safe Disposal of Hazardous Waste: Hazardous waste must be handled, stored, and disposed of in compliance with specific regulations. Businesses must identify the hazardous waste they generate and ensure it is segregated, labelled, and transported safely to an authorised facility for disposal.
How Affordable Waste Management Can Help
At Affordable Waste Management, we understand the importance of proper waste management for businesses of all sizes. We offer a range of waste management services, including waste collection, recycling, and disposal, to help enterprises in the UK manage their waste in a sustainable and cost-effective way.
Our team of experts works closely with businesses to identify their waste management needs and develop customised solutions that meet their requirements. We are committed to providing high-quality and reliable waste management services that comply with all relevant legislation.
Whether you need regular waste collection and disposal or a one-time hazardous waste removal, Affordable Waste Management can help. Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can assist your enterprise with proper sorting and disposal of waste.